April Showers checking out Rosanna's new baby "Black Rose"
The Property consists of 550 acres ranging from fertile river flats,
which are ideal for Haymaking
or strip grazing, to undulating hill country, to a mountainous area with
pockets of rainforest.
The Barrington River runs
approximately 1.5 kilometers along one side of the Property, this being
where the Camping ground has been developed. On the other side runs
Thunderbolts Way which leads
from Gloucester to Nowendoc.
Originally the Property
was a Dairy Farm, which consisted of 5 Guernsey cows in 1937, developing
into the biggest Guernsey Stud in Australia. By 1964 there were 320
head. It was called "Meadowbank Guernsey Stud."
dairying until 1974 when he held a Clearing Sale and gave up dairying.
The Dairy and land were leased out to another farmer for the years
leading up to 1978 when Poley, with his new wife Rosemary, developed the
Camping Ground, Country Music Hoedowns, catering for and entertaining
Coach Tours as well as starting a Simmental Stud.
early days Rosemary worked tirelessly along with her young son, Michael,
clearing land overgrown with Lantana and Privet to make the Camping
Ground what it is today, as well as fencing, repairing creek blocks,
marking calves, mustering stock on foot up until the time she was able
to use her mare, "Gipsey", to do the cattle work. She also taught her to
handle a sidesaddle so she could do demonstration rides for the Coach
Tours and the Hoedown patrons. Rosemary's Mum, Mary Ninness, would also
help out in the home as well as Maree and Gayle, Rosemary's daughters,
preparing beautiful meals for family and visitors while her time and
energies were occupied with all the outdoor chores.
Stud continued up until 1992 and has now become a Commercial enterprise,
continuing with a core of Simmental cows crossing with Brahman Bulls to
develop Simbrah Cattle, which have proved a very successful cross and
are much sought after at the Saleyards.
Darling and calf